If you look around in the gym you’ll see guys who want to grow.
These guys say they’re doing what needs to be done.
This can’t be true.
If they were doing what needed to be done they would have a great physique already.Most people don’t do enough volume.
The brief time I get to watch people in the gym, I notice everyone does 3 sets of 10 it seems.
No I don’t mean 10 hard sets either.
People do 3 fairly easy sets.
If your sets are easy you won’t be making gains.
Gains come to those that work.
If you want to do 3 sets you might want to try Hit Training.
That style of training is effective at building size.
You’ll feel pain and grow in size.
If you’re not growing from your current routine there can be several reasons why.
5 Reasons You’re Not Growing:
- Your Workouts suck: Most people think they train hard in the gym when in reality they train like 5 year old girls. Guys, 3 sets of 10 eventually doesn’t work. Most people reading this aren’t killing their workouts like they think they are. Add volume or add intensity. You’re not training as hard as you think I promise. Add drop sets and burn out sets and then tell me you were training hard.
- No clear goal in mind: When you go to the gym without a goal, you might as well turn back around and go home. If you’re just showing up because you’re paying for a gym membership you won’t succeed trust me. Set a crystal clear goal in your head and don’t stop until you accomplish it. That’s the first step to becoming a winner.
- Eating like a girl: Guys if you want to grow from 185 to 200 lbs you have to eat like you’re already 200 lbs. A big mistake people make is that they do what worked before instead of what will work now. When I was bulking I was eating every 2 hours and I made it my mission to get my calories in. You have to stop at nothing to get those calories in. I don’t care if you have to stay up till 2 a.m. Get those calories in and start growing.
- Not enough focus on the mass builders: If you’re not doing your squats, pull ups, incline bench, and dead-lifts you’re not gonna grow as fast as someone that is. Make the basics a priority and watch your body grow in front of your own eyes.
- Drifting in the gym: Look I write this in almost every post. DON’T DRIFT WHEN YOU’RE IN THE GYM. Focus on your workout and crush it. That hot girl over there will not make you grow muscle. Girls will not make you grow muscle. If I could drill that in each guys head I would. If you must talk to the girl over there wait till you need water and get her number. Don’t be a chicken shit who’s scared of women, either go talk to her or get back to your workout, don’t make women your purpose in the gym, it will only invite failure.
If you follow those 5 steps I outlined here I guarantee that you’ll grow.
People don’t succeed in the gym because the drift and their workouts suck.
Do more volume.
If you’ve done 3 sets of 10 for years add another set and make it 4 sets of 10 and then 5.
People make the mistake of doing the same thing over and over again.
If you can’t grow your muscles that’s the reason.
Volume training is key and it will take your physique to the next level.
If volume training isn’t effective for you you’ll want to try hit training.
Hit training is taxing on the body but it will build the hard dense muscle you want.
Do both if you can handle it.
Do your 1 heavy set and then add volume.
This will build the pump look, and the dense one.
Muscular density can only be developed through heavy training.
People don’t like to lift heavy because it is harder.
Ironically people take the path of least resistance in resistance training.
If you want to be great and accomplish your goals you need to do the opposite.
Go heavy and use high volume.
When you’re able to do this you’ll look full and dense.
This is a bodybuilder’s dream.
This is similar to power bodybuilding.
I want you guys to build strength as well as muscle.
Muscle is just the primary focus.
When you’re focused on building muscle and you keep training heavy enough you’ll get where you want.
Learn to make heavy weight second to building muscle.
Power lifters tell me all the time that they’d rather lift a car than look good.
Why not do both?
This limited mindset will hold you back and guide you in the direction of failure.
Keep your mind open to all possibilities.
If you’re too rigid you won’t make the gains you could have made.
This is why you need to focus on doing what it takes to be your best and to make things work for you.
No one can stop you or sabotage you except you.
When you focus on building muscle, the strength will come.
Do your heavy sets first and then go for the pump.
That formula has been effective for years and it will continue to be effective.
Once you’re able to add weight to the bar and get enough volume in your body will start to grow and rebuild.
Again this is similar to Mike O’Hearn’s power bodybuilding system.
The difference is that I use more volume than Mike.
Mike believes in doing the minimum.
Obviously his system works for him.
Mike O’Hearn is an animal.
This formula for bodybuilding will pack on size for just about every one.
High Volume Workout
Squats: 7 sets 3 reps, 3 sets 20 reps
Angled Vertical Leg Press: 5 sets 20 reps
Seated Hamstring Curl: 5 sets 12-15 reps
Standing machine single leg hamstring curl: 3 sets 8 reps
Heavy dumbbell Romanian dead-lifts: 3 sets 12 reps
Barbell Romanian dead-lifts: 3 sets 10, 8, 6 reps: last set needs to be heavy
Standing calf raise: 5 sets 12, 10, 10, 8, 6
Calf press: 5 sets 12, 10, 8, 6, 6, and then drop set
Donkey calf raise: 5 sets 12 reps
Seated calf raise: 5 sets 12 reps
That was my leg workout from today and it was high volume.
Start off heavy with squats.
Then I want you to do 3 sets of 20 continuous rep squats.
Go non stop up and down on the squats.
The rest of the quad portion just chase the pump on the leg press keeping the tension on the quads.
For the hamstring portion only go heavy on the dumbbell and barbell Romanian dead-lifts.
This will build thick legs if you follow it to the T.
Sign up for the newsletter.
Thank you for reading.